Skip to content
- 1. Introduction
- 2. The International Search Landscape
- 3. Planning, Research, Resources and Goals: Laying your Foundation
- a. Is your business ready to go international?
- b. What are your available resources?
- c. Does your business have an international audience?
- d. What are your company’s goals for your international presence?
- 4. What are some Known International Ranking Signals?
- 5. What are your Targeting Objectives
- a. Language Targeting
- b. Country-specific Targeting
- 6. Determine your International Site Structure
- a. The pros and cons of ccTLD’s
- b. The pros and cons of Subdomains
- c. The pros and cons of Subdirectories
- 7.What structure should you choose?
- a. Should you focus on Language or Geographic Targeting?
- b. Best Case Scenario for Geographic Targeting
- c. Subdirectories: The Next Best Thing
- d. What about Subdomains?
- e. Plan for Scalability!
- 8. Why Localized Professional Translations are a Must!
- 9. Serving the God of UX: Elements of Successful International Usability
- a. Translate your URL’s
- b. Link your Country/Language versions visibly on every page of the site(s)
- c. Use unique Titles, Descriptions, and Headings
- d. Include Local Contact and Support Information
- e. Use Google’s Local Business Center
- f. Use Country-Specific Currency
- g. All of Navigational Elements and Images should be translated
- h. Optimize Images and Alt tags
- i. Comments and Reviews
- 10. How to Prevent Duplicate Content Issues and Penalties
- a. Geo targeting in Webmaster Tools
- b. Use Hreflang Tags to Avoid Duplicate Content
- i. Create a separate sitemap for each country targeted site/section
- ii. Start by Creating a Spreadsheet Grouping Translations or Localizations into sets
- iii. Create an XML Site Map with your URL’s grouped into Sets
- iv. Using the Right Country and Language (ISO) Codes
- v. Using X-Default
- vi. Using Tools to Create your XML Site Maps
- vii. Hreflang Summary
- c. What about Canonical Tags?
- 11. Content Marketing and Link Earning
- a. Content Marketing
- b. Outreach for Link Earning
- c. Earn Local Links
- d. Earn links in the Targeted Language
- e. Competitor Analysis
- f. Promote your content via Social Media and Paid Amplification
- 12. Tracking your International Marketing Efforts
- 13. Best Practices: Do’s and Don’ts of International SEO
- 14. Conclusion: Go Forth and Internationalize!