Digital marketers are responsible for managing a number of different projects from concept to completion. Managing these projects often means working with multiple parties, keeping track of countless tasks, communicating back and forth with clients, and meeting tight deadlines.
The key to getting this work done efficiently is using the right project management tool. Since most digital marketing agencies rely on Google’s email service, they often want to use other free tools provided by Google as project management software.
But what project management software does Google offer? Are there better options available? Here’s what you need to know when choosing the right project management tools for your digital marketing agency:
Does Google Have A Project Management Software?
There are no Google tools or software designed specifically for project management.
However, there are various Google apps that can be used for different aspects of project management. Although it is not ideal to use multiple apps for project management purposes, this might be a suitable option for startups or small businesses trying to stick to a tight budget.
What Are Google’s Project Management Apps?
Google offers a wide range of free apps that businesses and individuals can use for many different purposes. Some of the apps that are often used for project management include:
- Gmail: This is Google’s email service, which digital marketers can use to send and receive emails.
- Drive: This is a cloud-based storage app that digital marketers can use to access saved files from any device.
- Calendar: Digital marketers can use Google Calendar to manage their schedules and keep track of upcoming due dates.
- Docs: Google Docs is a word processing app that is similar to Microsoft Word. Digital marketers can use this app to create content. You can also adjust the settings on each document to give others permission to view, edit, or comment on it.
- Sheets: Google Sheets is a spreadsheet program that is similar to Microsoft Excel. Digital marketers often use Sheets to create editorial calendars, keep track of assignments, and display digital campaign results in colorful graphs and tables.
- Slides: This app makes it easy for digital marketers to create and collaborate on online presentations. It is similar to Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Hangouts: Digital marketers can use this app to send instant messages or place video or voice calls to other members of their team. You have the option of chatting one-on-one or in groups.
- Blogger: This app is a free blog-publishing service. You can publish blogs on a free blogspot.com domain or purchase a custom domain. You can also use this app to customize the layout of your blog with different fonts, images, videos, and other assets.
- Keep: Digital marketers can use this app to create, share, and collaborate with others on to-do lists, notes, and more. You can use this app to add images or videos to your notes, check off tasks as they are complete, and set important reminders.
To see a full list of Google apps, visit the Google homepage and click on the icon that features three rows of three dots in the top right corner.
Should Agencies Use Google Apps As Project Management Software?
Together, these Google apps can be used to form a DIY project management tool. All of the apps are free, which is the main benefit of using this method. But there are a number of drawbacks to using Google apps instead of project management software.
None of these Google apps can serve as an all-in-one project management tool. If you want to use Google apps for project management, you must use a handful of different apps.
For example, you could use Google Docs for creating and editing content, Google Sheets for keeping track of tasks, and Google Hangouts to discuss project-related issues with your team members.
You would need to use multiple apps to manage your projects, which means you would constantly need to switch back and forth between programs in order to complete your work. This is time-consuming and inefficient, which is why it’s not recommended.
Using multiple apps for project management could also make it harder to keep everyone on the same page regarding a specific project.
But if you use project management software, you can store everything related to a specific project within the tool. As a result, you won’t need to open multiple apps to track down instructions, supporting documents, and project-related conversations with team members. All of this information will be housed within the same project management tool.
You also miss out on the benefits of task automation if you choose to use Google apps instead of project management software. Project management software is designed with workflow automation technology, which means projects will automatically move through a predefined series of steps until they are complete.
For example, project management software will automatically send a project to the editor once the writer has marked their task complete. But if you use Google apps, the writer will need to manually contact the editor to let them know that their work is ready to be edited.
Performing these tasks manually takes a lot of time. Furthermore, significant delays could occur if even one person involved in the workflow forgets to notify the next person that it’s their turn to work on the task.
These are some of the many reasons why it’s best to use project management software instead of relying on Google apps.
What is the Best Project Management Software With Google Integrations?
Many digital marketers understand the benefits of project management software, but they are still hesitant to give up their favorite Google apps. Fortunately, it is possible to get the best of both worlds by choosing project management software that easily integrates with Google apps.
You can connect various Google apps, including Calendar, Drive, and Gmail, to Gryffin’s project management tool. This way, you can see all of the information stored within these Google apps in one place.
You can also upload a Google Doc link to each task in Gryffin’s project management system. Then, the writer who is assigned the task can click on the link to access a blank document where they can complete their assignment. Other parties, including the editor and client, can also easily access the document using this link to review, edit, and approve content.
As you can see, it is possible to enjoy all of the benefits of project management software while still getting to use tried and true Google apps. Learn more about how Gryffin works by starting a free 14-day trial today.